tracex

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Raw Comedy *tick*

So, I had my Raw Comedy heat on Saturday. Just to get it out there from the get-go, I didn't get through. I'm okay with that. I'm really glad I did it. I don't think I disgraced myself.

I just so happened to be on after the MCs went off on a big tangent about horse f$#@ing. So, I got the awesome introduction "and here's someone who probably hasn't f$#@ed a horse- Tracey Hogue!". It was certainly the crassest introduction and put me in a bit of a predicament because I did not want to begin my routine by swearing or talking about bestiality. Just one of those rules I had given myself...

So, I just chose to ignore it and get on with what I was going to do anyway. It probably ended up just looking like I couldn't cope with improvisation. I would have loved to respond to that introduction in a clever way. Can you think of anything?

I've realised that most comedy is low-brow, especially the type where you only have 5 minutes to get some cheap laughs. But you know what? I'm glad that I abided by my own rules and didn't swear (I did say 'crap' but that doesn't count- they say it on 'Home and Away') or talk about typical female comedy things.

Actually, what do you think about the swearing thing? You see, I swear in 'real life' and I don't have a huge problem with it. I just thought that it would be interesting to try and be funny without it...

5 Comments:

Blogger The Librarian said...

Ooooh! I just thought of one!

"And now....blah blah, horse f%^&%^ing.....Tracey Hogue!"

"Yeah I don't do that sort of thing, my vices are far more socially inappropriate....I'm a Christian".


Silence....

2:49 pm  
Blogger Trace said...

That's awesome, Amy- maybe you should enter Raw Comedy next year!

5:10 pm  
Blogger Mikey Lynch said...

Wow Trace, well done! I'm so glad you did it and so sorry (for Raw Comedy ) that you didn't get through.

How about ... "No one told me I had to talk about that? I don't even know what that is? Who should I ask? Or should I just pretend I know? Should I ask my mum? How many of you know what that is? etc etc"

But again, we'll all come up with clever responses cause we weren't the brave people who actually had a go, eh?

Love your work.

7:21 pm  
Blogger Mikey Lynch said...

Oh and the swearing thing... it's hard. I like your resolution to try to be funny without it, that's cool.

But it is hard, cause the funniest comedien(ne)s are often the best at swearing in an awesome way.

7:22 pm  
Blogger Trace said...

Yes Mikey- I know what you mean about the swearing. Billy Connolly's a terribly good swearer- that could be the accent as well.
Comedy is an interesting beast...

9:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home