tracex

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Treacherous Terrain of the K. K.

So, at my work, like many other workplaces we do the Kris Kringle thing. That's where we have one person to buy a Christmas present for and it's a secret who the present is from.

It has occured to me that there are many ways that the identity of the present giver can be given away. For example, this year one of the people involved in the K.K. was finishing up work a couple of days early so the person with their present had to put that present on his desk and he had to put his present in a communal K.K. box.

One of the ladies relayed this information to everyone. Of course, we were not meant to give away whether it was us or not who had to buy the earl-leaver a present. One of the girls, when confronted with the information (even after the information giver had said "Now, don't tell me if it's you", I might add) said: "Oh no, it's not me!" That didn't matter anyway, the person who was meant to bring his present forgot the present so it was then obvious that it was her because she had to bring it to the work dinner that night (as that was the final time we'd see him for the year).

Then, this morning, one of the ladies says to me: "Can you let me know when X leaves as my present's really big!" I said "Well, I guess I know who bought X's K.K. then!" Woah- this thing is doing my head in. So many ways to bugger it up...

It can be obvious if it's your writing on the card (especially if you're the receptionist and people see your handwriting on phone messages all the time). I also give everyone a little present of homemade fudge, so I have to make sure that I don't use the same paper or ribbon on the presents. I'm also big on the disclaimer, so If I've wrapped the present messily or the thought behind the present needs some explanation, I find it very difficult not to say something.

Then there's the reaction. Last year someone gave me a hideous jewellery stand: a tiny headless mannequin thing wearing a ball gown. I honestly did not know what to say. And thankfully, I couldn't work out who gave it to me!

1 Comments:

Blogger Cabernet Leather said...

"Well, I guess I know who bought X's K.K. then!"

That is such an awesome sentence!
(Good post too)

11:21 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home