tracex

Friday, October 06, 2006

Would I get a dog?

Most people who know me know that I love animals. I am more likely to coo over a puppy than I am a baby. That does not mean that I think that puppies, or animals generally, are better than people. It means that I think that animals have less potential to disappoint than people do. Cynical, I know, but I like to know what I'm dealing with.

"But BABIES!" I hear you say. "They're so innocent and cute!" I don't agree. They have as much capacity to do wrong as any other human, we are just more likely to forgive them on the basis of their cuteness; just as we accept people on the basis of how they look. Every being has intrinsic value because they are created by God regardless of whether they're blonde, brunette, old, young, pimply, wrinkly, fat, thin, toothless, tactless or feckless.

Along with the potential to disappoint that every human has, though, is the capacity to delight and surprise.

I am aware of the tendency that we have to shy away from human relationships because of so much hurt that has been experienced and could be experienced. A dog is a good companion but not the best.

Would I get a dog? Maybe. But, much like babies, I'm pretty happy to look at other people's.

That raises a whole other question of whether it is actually responsibility that I'm afraid of...

3 Comments:

Blogger mike said...

What about a cat Trace?

11:02 am  
Blogger Trace said...

Hmmm. Didn't even consider a cat, honestly. Somehow, I'd feel like I was selling out because, basically, cats don't care.

1:58 pm  
Blogger Kate (Pablo's mum) said...

You stole my thunder, Mike...

Tracey, just because cats don't slobber and fawn and jump all over you doesn't mean we don't care. We care, in our own sophisticated way... we just put style and dignity above blind affection. If I was a person, I'd value affection that I had to win more highly than thoughtless, unreserved, unconditional grovelling. Sorry you don't feel the same. Your loss.

You're right about babies, though. No hair. Wierd.

10:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home