tracex

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Administration rules!

Now I say this as someone who has never done full-time administrative work- but, administration rules! I love the sense of achievement. "What?!" I hear you say. Well, as someone who does a lot of work with people (which one might call qualitative) it is good to do some quantatative tasks.

For any of you out there who work lots with people, take my advice and do something you can measure definitively- just to keep you going. I just photocopied, stapled and folded 100 conference booklets. I have no regrets about anything I could have done better, or that I should have spent more time on it. I did it- end of story.

Maybe this difference between people work (that is, understanding how they work, interacting, encouraging, supporting, and lots more) and administration (mail-outs, typing, folding etc.)is the short-term vs long-term reward. My feeling is that we need both to keep going. But, ultimately, (which makes sense given that it is last) long-term reward is more important...

4 Comments:

Blogger Kate (Pablo's mum) said...

It's true! It's true! I fill in for the admin lady at my workplace when she takes leave, and it's awesome! There is so much order and reliability in the tasks, and the results are so tangible! You can see and touch the fruits of your labour... and you get to use so much cool stationery! Stamps! Stickers! Pens! Pre-paid post packs! Staplers! Hole punchers! Not to mention, photocopiers, printers and fax machines!(whoops... starting to sound like the crazy warehouse guy). And you get to be all official and answer the phone and put calls through to people. Love it, love it, love it.

10:13 am  
Blogger The Librarian said...

That's one of the reasons why I like Librarianship, cataloguing is a mental activity that you can see results from, and they keep stats on everything, so you can see your progress!

9:55 am  
Blogger The Librarian said...

Hmmmm, maybe ministers and youth workers should keep stats?

9:58 am  
Blogger fional said...

EWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!! stats :-( shudder ugh ugh shudder ew

Anyway I was going to say something coherent before I read that last comment. Actually I can't leave it yet:- I *hated* doing stats in my normal job and I *love* not doing stats now I'm workin' for the church.

*Anyway* congrats on the conference booklets. Yes! Yes! Triumph!

And congrats on your blog. I'm glad I came across it, a good blog's a joy. Keep up the honest, compassionate, wry commentary.

Fiona Lockett

10:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home